Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Images do not display.

Sometime the remote images in an email do not display  This could be due to the permissions.default.image hidden preference in Thunderbird. If you never see the allow images button on emails from senders not in your address book this setting is the probable cause of the images and the button not appearing.

As I understand this preference, it blocks remote images. 2 blocks everything 1 allows images from the original server, 0 allows images from any server. With 1 being the Thunderbird default.

Go to Tools menu > options > advanced > config editor

Type into the search box permissions.default.image or as much as you need to double click on it in the list below.

When changing this setting, it is advisable to reduce the setting to it's current value -1 as each reduction in values is a reduction in security as well as an increase in convenience.

5 comments:

  1. I reset the parameter as mentioned above, and it works until I restart Thunderbird. Each time I start Thunderbird, the setting is back to 2. I have no add-ons. The problem started when I updated to 17.0.5 from a much older version (not sure which). One entry in the Mozilla help forum recommended this:

    all-thunderbird.js

    I changed this line :
    pref("mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image", true);

    from true to false, and the images now show., even after exiting and restarting thunderbird

    This did not work for me, either, and is not really what I want anyway - I'm not looking to display all images all the time.

    Any idea how to make the permissions.default.image settings permanent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. pref("mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image", true); is the preference that is toggles in the config editor.

      POP into this conversation.
      https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topics/images_wont_display_in_emails_in_thunderbird_but_display_fine_in_outlook

      Delete
  2. is there someone out there who can help - for reasons I cannot work out I am unable to access any links which are included in my e-mails - if someone can answer this please keep it simple as I am not very computer savvy - email me please on ceedlu@hotmail.com
    thanks
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing Thunderbird has a knowledge base.

      Your question is answered here https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Hyperlinks-in-Messages-Not-Working

      Delete